It takes tremendous courage to acknowledge emotional and behavioral difficulties in yourself or a loved one.
I provide a nurturing context that will help you to recognize strengths and resilience as well as obtain relief from your current stress, worries, past trauma, couples conflict, family-related issues or parenting problems. I will help you to develop coping strategies and tools for change. As I help you change, I will help you recognize the aspects of our experiences as human beings that cannot be changed. Achieving a balance between change and acceptance can be transformative. Your treatment will be tailored to your needs using my knowledge of effective treatment, cultural awareness and your preferences.
Anxiety, trauma and mental health issues in children can have pervasive effects if not addressed. Unaddressed mental health issues in adults and families also have significant impacts. Today, effective treatments exist. I use treatment approaches with research support for their effectiveness. And, we will work together to find the most effective solutions for you.
SPECIALIZED TRAINING IN CHILD PSYCHOLOGY INCLUDES:
An internship in child-clinical community psychology, approved by the American Psychological Association
A post-doctoral fellowship in pediatric psychology at Children’s Hospital in Oakland
Additional post-doctoral training in child sexual abuse and child trauma at EMQ Children and Family Service in San Jose California.
SPECIALIZATIONS & ISSUES
- Anxiety Disorders
- Child and Developmental trauma
- Post Traumatic Stress and Trauma Therapy
- Parenting at all levels of development including toddlers, teens, emerging adults/empty nest
- Couple and Family conflict
- Adjustment and coping with chronic illness
- Conflict and adjustment difficulties due to immigration and acculturation to the US
- Compassion fatigue or vicarious traumatization in medical and human service professionals
- Identity development
- Culturally sensitive assessment and intervention